Drug Take Back days around Jackson County yields more than 600 pounds in prescription drugs
On October 28th, local law enforcement agencies across the Lee’s Summit area gave residents the opportunity to stem pill abuse and help prevent theft by ridding their homes of potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs at 5 locations across the Lee’s Summit area. Liquids, needles or sharps were not accepted at the take-back event.
During this event more than 600 pounds of prescription drugs were collected at the 5 sites operated by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, Lee’s Summit Police Department, and Lee’s Summit Cares.
“Law enforcement agencies deal daily with the dangers of discarded prescription drugs, which are sometimes all too readily available to those most vulnerable,” Jackson County Sheriff Mike Sharp said. “These drop-off sites offer an easy, no-questions-asked way to ensure these drugs do not fall into the wrong hands.”
The following is a list of the sites, and total (in pounds) of prescription drugs collected during the event:
- Jackson County Sheriff’s Office (4001 NE Lakewood Ct., Lee’s Summit, MO) — 62.4 lbs.
- Lee’s Summit Police Department (10 NE Tudor Rd., Lee’s Summit, MO) — 137.4 lbs.
- John Knox Village Wellness Clinic (1001 NW Chipman Rd., Lee’s Summit, MO) — 120.4 lbs.
- Lee’s Summit Medical Center ER (2100 SE Blue Pkwy., Lee’s Summit, MO) — 159.8 lbs.
- St. Luke’s East Hospital ER (100 NE St. Lukes Blvd., Lees Summit, MO) — 132.4 lbs.
- Total from October 28th event — 612.4 lbs.
- Grand Total since program inception — 2232.9 lbs.