Fire damage temporarily closes local bar in downtown LS

On Monday, February 19, 2018, at 11:26 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a possible structure fire at Grains &Taps, 10 SW 3rd Street. The caller reported a previous fire involving a bathroom exhaust fan overnight. The fire was believed to be out, but there was still a lot of smoke in the attic space.  


from LS Fire Department

When the fire department arrived, there was light smoke coming from a vent on the outside of a one-story commercial building in the downtown business district. The occupants advised of a previous fire in bathroom exhaust fan and as they started to disassemble the fan; discovered there was still a considerable amount of smoke in the attic space between the ceiling and flat roof.

Fire crews pulled the ceiling in the bathroom and removed a substantial amount of smoldering cellulose insulation around the fan. Once the smoldering material was removed and extinguished, the smoke dissipated in the attic space. A check of the adjacent building confirmed no additional smoke or fire spread. The incident was under control by 12:20 p.m.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a faulty bathroom exhaust fan. In addition to igniting the insulation around the fan, the fire burned several structural pieces of wood in the attic. Fire crews had to remove a large section of the ceiling in the back of the business to ensure all of the blown-in insulation had been removed. The interior of the business sustained minor smoke damage.

The scene was left with the business owner and the Jackson County Health Department. The business is closed.