Students from nine Lee’s Summit R-7 elementary schools captured awards on April 14 at Reel Spirit: Young Filmmaker Showcase — youth division of Kansas City FilmFest — www.kcfilmfest.org, held at the Cinemark Palace on the Plaza.
from LS R-7 Schools
Student winners from the Lee’s Summit R-7 School District follow.
- Pleasant Lea Elementary: third grade, first place for STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Arts and Mathematics)
- Underwood Elementary: second and third grades, first place for commercial; and fifth and sixth grades, first place for documentary
- Hazel Grove Elementary: sixth-grade, second place for animation
- Hazel Grove and Lee’s Summit Elementary: second and third grades, second place for fictional news broadcast
- Prairie View Elementary: fourth and fifth grades, third place for public service announcement
- Longview Farm Elementary: fourth grade, third place for commercial
- Mason Elementary: fifth and sixth grades, first place for narrative, second place for commercial and third place for news broadcast
- Richardson Elementary: fourth grade, first place for STEAM; and fifth and sixth grades, second place for commercial
- Hawthorn Hill Elementary ( with Blue Springs school): first place for public service announcement
- Hawthorn Hill Elementary: second and third grades, third place for commercial and first place for narrative; fourth grade gifted students, third place for narrative
- Sunset Valley Elementary: fourth through sixth grades, third place for fictional newscast
- Highland Park Elementary: fourth through sixth grades, second place for fictional newscast and third place for animation
- Westview Elementary: second and third grades, second place for narrative.
In addition to the elementary school winners, Gigi Harris, a senior at Lee’s Summit North High School, was asked to be "Ms. Reel Spirit" and conduct the interviews on the red carpet. She won several awards through Reel Spirit as a Mason Elementary student.
Through the metro-area film competition, students in second grade through high school enter films into one of the following categories: narrative, commercial, public service announcement, news broadcast, animation, STEAM or documentary. Students with films that place first, second or third are invited to the Reel Spirit Showcase where they watch their films on the big screen and receive Oscar-style trophies. At this special event, students dress up to walk the red carpet and be interviewed about their films.